www.gulfcoastpoker.net

Saturday, July 6, 2019

AND AFTER DAY ONE...10 MONKEYS ADVANCE!!!!!

I am SO happy, and SO proud this morning. I got back to my room last night about 10:30...frustrated by my own irritating day of tournament play. The cash list was way too long for my liking in the Encore poker room, and nothing else seemed appealing. So I just went back to my room...and quickly fell asleep. 

Oh...before I go any further? If you are in the middle of an earthquake? Or any other natural disaster? Do us ALL a favor please? Limit your use of the phrase "Oh my God!!!!" to ONE (or less) use!??? Geeeeeee ZUZZZZZ! 


And yeah...I sat through yesterday's 7.1, we were on break at Venetian in the 6pm $600 tourney...which I bricked TWICE in. I was talking to Carley on Facetime...when all of a sudden my chair started rocking. Whaaaaaa...then the table started kind of undulating...then the two huge chandeliers above me started to chatter and swing back and forth. I looked at the dealer, and we both said "Whoa...another earthquake." Some yelling and screaming ensued....then...things returned to normal. No big deal. My question is this: Will "THE BIG ONE" hit before I leave Vegas? Will I get to see the Pacific Ocean from my 16th floor view from the Encore hotel?


So what am I so proud about? Well duh....SIX of our players bagged in Day 1b...and the other FOUR went yesterday. How did they do? THEY ALL BAGGED. And all of them bagged with decent stacks! Yay! And Barth...my buddy/business partner who I bought 10% of...also bagged a healthy stack. So...heading into day 2...I'm loving life. Now...if I could just get some luck going myself. 


Yesterday was another sad tale in a long, long line of poker disappointments. Went to play the Wynn 1-day tourney...that eventually had $82k up top. I was gliding through the first 6 or 7 levels. Never got below starting stack. Got my starting stack of 20k up to over 60k...then level 8 arrived. 30 minutes later, I was in my room...kicking the furniture. A cacophony of disasters, most of which involved idiots making idiot plays and being rewarded by gratuitous decks, spelled my doom. 62k in chips. FIVE disastrous hands...and BOOM. OUT! My last two hands...both jacks. The first....guy who looked like an Italian hobo...not the type from NY/NJ but actually Italy...was fond of playing as many hands (great, good, OR shitty, didn't matter) as possible, from ANY position...raised to 2200 in early position (blinds 500/1000) and when it got to me...knowing how much he ALSO hated to fold to a re-raise...I raised to 6800 with my jacks. 


He don't give a shit! Just call him Italian Honey Badger. He comes along. Lovely. Flop comes 9-high. Good. I should be okay. I analyze his stack as he checks...see that he has about 15k...and decide to bet a shade over half his stack...to commit him to either a fold or an all in. He goes all in. Whatever. I call. He turns over...ready for this.....KING-QUEEN. Yup. The board reads....9-7-4. Rainbow. Did he think I was going to fold? Does he think? Does he HAVE a brain? At any rate....I call. I see his hand. I clench my butt cheeks together in anticipation of the next two cards....praying this moron doesn't get rewarded. He GETS rewarded. Fuck ME. Queen on the turn. Unreal. Few hands later...I pick up JJ again. Sigh.


Here we go again. Now at 600-1200...I raise to 3500. The big doofus in the big blind hems and haws...and finally calls my raise. The flop brings 8-8-6. Should be a pretty good flop for me, yeah? He checks...I bet a shade over HALF of my remaining stack...in a message to someone with an IQ higher than a lampshade tells you, "Oh...he's all in but not OFFICIALLY all in," right? Well...Captain Cavenman...in his bad times tank top, fat body covered in tattoos...goes into this ridiculous Bollywood (wasn't good enough to be labeled 'Hollywood') routine of what to do. When he finally acts...he throws in 4 red chips...representing 20k. Putting me all in. Yeah! Okay! I call! What did you luck into, A8? Nope. Not even that good. 10-8 off. Perfect. "Great little act there man...did you THINK I was going to fold after making that bet?" I didn't hit a jack. And I was done at The Wynn after 6 hours of play. After just 30 minutes earlier having visions of grandeur. That's poker for ya!!!! Always a kick in the nuts it seems. So glad I don't rely on poker for my living anymore. It will literally drive you insane. And there is no one to turn to for feeling better. No one really cares. They might act like it...but they really, truly don't. So..remember that...when you take YOUR next horrible beat. Just go sit at a slot machine...and mumble obscenities to yourself. The people around you will probably think your crazy...but fuck them. 


I'm going back over to the Venetian today for some dumb reason...to play the last flight of their $1m guarantee...$1100 buy in. Maybe I can dodge the dumbasses for just one day. Probably not. But I will try. If I should bust out of THAT one? Who knows? Let it be a mystery. 

TEAM DINNER at CARMINES!!!!

But lets just focus on THE TEN SURVIVING MINIONS!! We got a REAL shot this year. I love this squad. I love our chances for a deep run! 6 go today, and the other 4 go tomorrow. 


MONK

No comments: