www.gulfcoastpoker.net

Sunday, September 20, 2009

What a weekend!!!


I know I owe you all a blog. In fact, I have a TON to talk about. But I have to be honest with you. It is 3am. On Saturday night. Just spent two hours taking a long hot bath and reading 6 chapters of my latest Vince Flynn novel. Just took an Ambien and plan to sleep for at least 6 hours I hope before I go to Borgata in the morning and start my Day 1 feeling fresh.

To catch you all up with everything would really take me about two hours and I just really don't want to ruin myself for tomorrow. But I will give you the nuts and bolts.

I didn't cash ANY tourneys up here this week. But I was NOT getting discouraged, because I have been playing well, in my opinion. Things just havent broken my way at all. Not much you can do about that. I have had an awful good time, and met a lot of new people in the poker world. Its been a good trip despite not winning any money.

Well this weekend has been kickass. Yesterday (Friday) I played the $750 Mega Satellite for the Main Event. It started at 1pm. It was a ridiculously long 11 hour grind. And there is a lot to say about it. But for now...I will just let you know, I won! 42 winners out of 215 snagged a seat. We were on the bubble for three freaking hours! And I had my share of stressful moments. But when it was over, I felt damn good to have my seat locked up and not have to pay cash to get in.

Today, I decided to play another Mega...this one a $550, that awarded 1 in every 7 a seat. I started like a house on fire. Was literally running over my table. Started with 8k in chips and by Level 2 had 22k. I was getting good cards, and I was getting paid off. Then I got crunched. Real quick. AQ raise. Called twice. Flop A-7-10. Check. Tables biggest donkey checks, as does the other guy. Turn 7. I bet. Donkey calls. Other guy raises. This is where I should have just folded. But like a dumbass I didnt. I put him all in. Whoops. He had J7. I was crippled. But I recovered. I made a huge late run...and when it was down to 29....paying 27 seats...I was the overall chipleader with over 150k in chips...with the average about 55k. It was never in doubt...and at 9:45pm, it was over. I got paid in cash for this one. More on that later. (sat waiting for over an hour at the cage...paperwork snafu) So boom! $3500 in pocket. Pretty much covered all my losses for the week.

Went to the Old Homestead...sat at the Chef's Counter and orderd half a dozen Bluepoint oysters, some Crab Lobster Corn bisque, an 18oz Filet, some asparagus and a glass of Pinot Noir. Jason Young...who earlier nearly won the Heads Up tourney...but who finished 6th I think...went home to NYC for a couple days to spend with his family...then returned, joined me at the table for about an hour. Had a nice talk about a variety of things. Hes really a good guy, I met him in Vegas with Joe Cutler but never really got to know him very well. I've gotten a chance to get to know him a lot better on this trip. Good player. Good guy. Glad I've gotten to know him. Meanwhile, Joe has been a complete hermit...camping out in his room pretty much the whole time and jamming away online. Oh, and lest I forget to say it...the Old Homestead was a great place. The food was killer! Best meal I have had in weeks.

Found out Joe's Mom is a frequent reader of my blog! As well as Jason's blog. I am both surprised and flattered as well a bit embarrassed. Its funny that Cheryl asks me to keep things 'clean' as possible on here as her family might see it....and that doesnt seem to slow me down all that much, but the thought of 'Mrs. Cutler' reading it has me spooked and not wanting to offend her. Is that weird? Well...Mrs. Cutler, if you are reading this...thanks for checking me out here!

A very, very exciting thing happened today that I cannot stop thinking and smiling about. I think a lot of you know exactly what I am talking about.

WASHINGTON 16- SOUTHERN CAL 13

Oh yeahhhhhhhh. I had to watch this game in between trying to win this Mega today. Yeah, I noticed we were hanging around...staying close, even taking a lead. But I could never allow myself to get even slightly excited, or think we would pull off the upset.

I managed to reflect back on one of the most exciting days of my youth. It was November 24th, 1981. I was 14 years old. Me and my best friend, Brandy Pugh...who has since passed away from a bout with brain cancer...and who I thought of all day as I was watching this game today...went to see the Huskies at Husky Stadium on a cold, windy and rainy day with his parents. We had just been killed the week before at UCLA, 31-0, and fallen out of the Top 20. Even though we still had a record of 6-2, everyone was pretty deflated. And in came USC...with Marcus Allen at RB, and ranked #3 in the nation. Just like USC was today. Well, in one of the most inspired performances by our defense, we would upset USC that day 13-3. I lost my voice that day. It was such a great memory. The Huskies would win the Pac-10 title that year and go to Pasadena and destroy Iowa 28-0. It was a great year. My junior high and high school years were spent cheering on a lot of Husky victories.

Watching this game today just filled me with so much pride. What Ty Willingham managed to do in 4 years at the helm was all wiped away in one afternoon in Husky Stadium, as our new savior from Los Angeles, Steve Sarkisian led a rag tag team of players no one wanted...to upset the mighty Trojans, who came in a 20.5 favorite. With under 2 minutes, and us with possession, I STILL didn't think we could do it. Then Jake Locker ran for a first down on 3rd and 4. Getting us to near midfield. And he didn't 'slide' as he did it. He buried his shoulder and dove for it! Then on 3rd and long he found a reciever over the middle, for another first down. I was excited but still nervous, as our kicker is very inconsistent.

Everything looked great though when Jake faded back....scrambled...and found a reciever all the way down at the 10, who made the catch! Then with 7 seconds left....Nick Folk banged it through the uprights...and the party was on!!!!! In my 32 years of watching Husky Football not once have I ever seen fans on the field. Today....almost the entire field was covered. The hair on my arms was standing up. A chill was going up my back. A smile covered my face for about an hour. It is maybe the happiest I have felt about a sporting event in 10 years. This has been a great day, truly.

After nearly beating LSU...and probably...should have...we got our first win in two years vs. Idaho (big deal, I know) last week and now this! Wow. If we could have just kept it together and knocked off LSU...we would be 3-0 and certainly in the Top 20. But hey! No worries. We have a great new coach, a great QB for two more years and a new attitude! The future in Huskyville is bright!

Tomorrow I go in search of something that has eluded me for years. A Main Event cash, and financial security for me and my new wife. One great tourney....and our lives could change forever. I know I can do it. I know I can. I just need to stay focused, stay sharp, and catch a few breaks. I have no fear of anyone. Winning back-to-back Mega's was really good for my confidence going into this. So I am ready! Lets do this!!!!!!!

MONKEY

1 comment:

GJ said...

Are you playing at Coushatta this weekend? They have their $300 buy in tourney on Thursday and the $1000 buyin tourney on Friday